Monday, March 17, 2008

Non-Fiction Monday


Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. ~Anton Chekhov


The above quote is something I remind myself of when writing non-fiction, too. It's not just in fiction we show, don't tell. Although, in non-fiction there is more telling, we can still add a bit of sparkle to our work by showing the glint of light.

I plan to begin working on a biography in the near future, so I have begun reading a number of children's biography books, one being Mark Twain, Author of Tom Sawyer, by Carol Greene ( I couldn't find a cover, anywhere). What a great introduction for a young child to learn about an author who's had such an impact on children's literature. The book is filled with pictures of Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain throughout his life.

What I found most interesting about the life and death of Mark Twain was the day he was born Halley's comet welcomed him to this world. And the night of his death, once again 75 years later, Halley's comet bid Mark Twain a farewell.
The round-up for Non-fiction Monday is over at Picture Book Of The Day with Anastasia Suen. Come and check it out!

No comments: