Thursday, February 28, 2008

Poetry is not always words. ~Audrey Foris



I wanted to add to the above quote, which is so true, 'poetry is also in pictures'. And I know so because today is Thursday, and I love Thursdays! Why? Because it's a day where I absolutely know I will write a poem. It will be written from a picture and one of 15 words or less. Go over to Laura Salas' blog and participate. It's fun, and it's just for fun.

I have found I like to write poems from pictures. In fact, I find it quite easy to do so. Maybe it's because I'm not a very visual person inside my head, but when I see a photo I see all kinds of possibilities. I feel emotions from pictures and am able to put words to it.

When I have trouble writing a poem about something specific, I go looking for a photo whether in a book or on the internet. And that seems to get my juices flowing. For example, I wanted to write a poem about a trombone and I just couldn't come up with something that I felt good about. So I went in search through some of my books and found a great picture. It was a trombone that had been bent in half and thrown into a garbage can. Perfect, I thought, and off I went and wrote a poem lickety-split. Mind you it did take a bit--okay maybe alot--of revision. But that's what writing is about. Right?

Have a great day!

No comments: