Thursday, April 3, 2008

Poetry Friday

"Poetry is the art of uniting pleasure with truth." - -- Samuel Johnson

This week I have been reading a number of older children's poetry books. One of them I have picked up is Til All The Stars Have Fallen, Canadian Poems for Children, selected by David Booth and illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton. It is filled with many wonderful poems by Canadian poets; some funny, some serious, some spirited, some rhyming, some non-rhyming.

Many of the poems show Canada's varied landscape, weather, people, and nature. The artwork is varied, from soft watercolours to bold paintings that capture the essence of each poem.

I have picked out two I liked:

This I know

The light of day
cannot stay.
The fading sun
will not come
to anybody's calling.

The cold moon light
Is clear and white.
She will not go,
this I know,
til all the stars have fallen.

~Anne Corkett


The sky is falling

It's cool under the August
apple tree
and fun
lying on my back looking
at the sky
shaped into blue chunks
between leaves
magnified
between fingers
rainbowed
between eyelashes.
You can see a lot
everything but the apple
that hits your nose
and then nothing but
stars.

~Diane Dawber



Becky's Book Reviews is hosting the Poetry Friday Roundup!

No comments: